Thursday, July 3, 2008

THe Matriarch reaches a Milestone

Today is just an ordinary day. For most people they are still recovering from the Long weekend Parties, or preparing to party with the neighbours south of the border. Today, Carpenter awoke at 5:15 am and was gone in 15 minutes to pick up his crew and take them to work.
But for me, aside from looking after my household and running off to work, I must, pick up the phone and call someone today.
She is a very special person, who brought me into this world, taught me countless lessons over the years, and has given loads of advice, some of which I embraced whole heartedly, and some I threw right out the window.
Sorry Mom, but it's true. Then you know that, because Moms just know.
So here is what I know about my MOM:
She enjoys a cup of coffee in the morning in her favorite mug, made her way. Don't ever muck with the coffee. She likes things that are leather or wood. She favours her jeans and turtleneck sweaters, except when she's off to the Cattlemen's ball, then hand her the dancing shoes.
She enjoys a good laugh, a beer with her steak, and has a love- hate relationship with cats that I will never understand.
She has been the right hand -man on the Family Ranch along side my father. And still is. She has put in many long hours with field work, calving,and haying. They used to say that the ranch at one time could employ 50 men. My father does the work of 2 and my Mom, the other 48.
Still,at the end of the day, she is my biggest fan. And I am hers.
So after you climb down from that John Deere, Mom, Have Dad take you out for supper.
Happy Birthday. I love you.


P.S. Tell Dad he can wash the truck tomorrow.

No comments: