Monday, July 21, 2008

A little bit of hot water, doesn't hurt.

There is nothing quite like working in my back yard, fixing it up to look and be the way that we want it : An outside living space to compliment our cozy little house.
Though the weekends are long and hot and most K-town folks are off to the beach, we are here working out butts off; Moving rock, shifting pond-liners, digging a big hole in the ground, and being burned by the sun.
So when Dude and Dudette invited us over for a dip in their pool, and a late Sunday afternoon BBQ, how could we refuse. We packed up the marinating ribs that were in the fridge, stopped by the cold beer and wine store, and set off.
We were delighted to see that they had invited Superman and Lois as well. I joined the ladies at the poolside, while the girls ran to change into their swimsuits, and Carpenter, Dude and Superman discussed the limited entry results, oh yeah, because they were in.
The girls came running back, Gem immediately jumped in. Jules was suited up in a life jacket, and then began a hesitant descent into the water, she clung to the side of the pool, with in arms reach, not wanting to be completely submerged, but not wanting to be pulled out either. One of the older girls jumped in the pool and then helped Jules around . She was much happier after that.
I kept a close watch on my girls while I chatted with Lois. We talked about the upcoming changes facing our family.It seems to be the hot topic no matter where we go. For most of my dear friends out there, you know what I'm referring to. However, I am not ready to disclose everything on this blog just yet, because we are still in limbo, and no firm plans can be made. So for those of you who don't know about the new adventure, it'll give you a reason to come back and visit. In the mean time the conversation begins like this: If this happens..... or IF that takes place.... and it becomes almost a frustrating experience, because you just can't plan around "IF''s.
I explained to Lois that as much as I found this process to be an adventure, I wasn't ready to move , In light of our new landscaping work, the tree house, and my home starting to take the shape of something I truly love.
By the time supper hit the grill we were all taking about the men's love of hunting and how September/ October are two months when we barely see our husbands, because they are gone chasing that elusive elk. We feasted on pork, chicken and beef,( the freezers are dwindling low now on that most expensive wild meat. We'll have to wait til hunting season for more I suppose. But I'd just prefer to leave good ol' Babmbi in the forest.) and, there was stories of how Birthdays, and in my case, an anniversary is missed because of hunting season. It was a hot topic and caused more than a couple of waves. Lois, too felt my pain, and we laughed at men's "priorities".
Jules began to choke, and cry. The bigger kids had been making a wave pool. She was swallowing too much water. I rushed to the edge of the pool. I gripped the shoulders of the life jacket, and hoisted her up in one swoop.
She stood there, on the deck, in the twilight air shivering, and catching her breath. She turned to me.
"Oh, Mommy! I'm so sorry! I just couldn't hold it !" She gasped and sputtered.
Then I noticed that with the dripping pool water she began to pee.
"I'm so sorry Mommy! It was an accident, I just couldn't hold it!" She repeated, this time with a quiver in her voice that told me she was embarrassed and about to cry.
It's okay, Sweetheart." I told her, "Accidents happen. At least it wasn't in the pool."

Just then, Jules , looked up at me and exclaimed, "WOW, MOM! PEE IS HOT!"
"I never knew that pee was hot!" She continued, in awe, as she watched it flow down her leg.
Laughter roared from the pool , the other kids no no longer able to contain their giggles, and I smiled at my little Jules and said, "Yes it is, now lets find a hose to rinse you off!"
The deck was rinsed and so was Jules, who wanted back in the pool.
I walked back to my seat, cracked open a cider, and relayed the hot water story. Conversation turned from hunting season, and flowed with ease and laughter. I was thankful to be away from the hot water topic, at least until September.

No comments: